Since the lectures on biodynamic agriculture given by Rudolf Steiner in Koberwitz in 1924, research and practice have developed in partnership.
At the Goetheanum in Switzerland, the two researchers Ehrenfried Pfeiffer and Günther Wachsmuth set up a research laboratory as early as 1919 in the basement of the Glashaus in Dornach, where the Section for Agriculture now has its headquarters. The foundations of biodynamic agriculture were thus supported by scientific experiments.
In addition to this, a research group set up by farmers in Germany provided help for research on the first biodynamic farms.
Biodynamic research has since expanded to worldwide activities in academic and practical research in many countries. This has given rise to the following tasks for the Section for Agriculture:
- The development, cultivation and interlinking of partnerships between global research organisations, applied researchers and the general public in the agriculture sector
- The organisation and running of the International Conference on Biodynamic Research (BDRC)
- Research communication as well as editing and publishing research results from biodynamic agriculture
The Section for Agriculture also plays an advisory role on a range of committees. For example, the Section is represented in the ART Committee (Advisory, Training and Research Committee). This committee which is run by the Biodynamic Federation Demeter International (BFDI) coordinates, collates and supports research activities worldwide.